Saturday, December 26, 2009

Can anyone tell me does my car oil look ';creamy';? I was told the if water and oil mix the head gasket is gone?

BMW 316i compact sport, 1999, 1.9 ccCan anyone tell me does my car oil look ';creamy';? I was told the if water and oil mix the head gasket is gone?
One or two reasons come to mind:


Do you do lots of short trips where the engine barely gets hot? Causes condensation inside the engine.


Also, if I remember correctly, BMW has a little coiled filter in a hose that runs from the engine block to the intake / throttle housing that ventilates the crankcase. If that little joker is plugged up, causes all kinds of mischief.


On the other hand, if you really have a leaking head gasket, the oil will be very 'creamy' and nasty looking, more so than I can tell from your pics. Possibly including misfires or a shaky idle because of losing compression or a fouled spark plug. Also the same for a cracked block. But the clue for that will be 'disappearing coolant' - having to top up the coolant reservoir without being able to find any apparent leaks. And if the head gasket is going out, frequently the cooling system will be blowing off hoses or pumping coolant out of the radiator because of combustion pressure leaking into the coolant system. Sometimes you can idle the engine with the radiator cap off and it will be constantly 'burping' air out of the radiator.Can anyone tell me does my car oil look ';creamy';? I was told the if water and oil mix the head gasket is gone?
Your Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) emissions system sucks all the condensation and fumes out of the engine crankcase and injects them back into the intake manifold to be reburned. If the PCV system is clogged up or the PCV valve needs cleaning or replacement, then that's another reason you could see creamy white oil deposits. Try changing the PCV valve.
It looks good to me except for the low oil level. Change your oil and filter every 3000 miles and check it frequently. You should add oil if 1/4th quart low. Letting it go below the 1 quart mark will add to tarnish build up and is a good way to wreck the hydraulic lifters because they start to stick internally. A small amount of creamy oil on the oil filler cap may just be condensation. You don't have a problem.
It looks fine to me. If it is leaking then by your pics its not leaking very bad.


If you are worried do an oil change and if it looks like a mocha milkshake get a mechanic.
I believe you got water in it. that is what i heard happens when that happens. Google it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment