Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Can I use a car engine oil on a 49cc scooter?

I bought 15W/40 car engine oil in Halfords and I am not sure if I can use it on my scooter. It is according to manufacturers specification but I am not sure that I can use it.Can I use a car engine oil on a 49cc scooter?
Should be fine. The reason they have motorcycle specific oil is because regular auto oil has friction modifiers in it for fuel efficiency reasons. In motorcycles with oil bath clutches these friction modifiers can cause them to slip. However IIRC most scooters like that have external centrifugal clutches that would not be affected.Can I use a car engine oil on a 49cc scooter?
if your scooter has a four-stroke engine yes you can, if its a two stroke no you cant as it will oil up your plugs and carburettor
no no no no i put 15/40 in my car which is 1600cc!!!!! you need a much lighter oil to go in a 50cc
Always give year, make, engine size and model # when asking questions. We need all of that info to give an informed answer.


In the crankcase, yes it's fine.


In the oil tank, the bike is probably a 2 stroke - NO
i would buy 4 stroke motor cycle oil it has more body than 15/40 for all it costs
To add to the gas for a 2 stroke motor? Absolutely not!


To put into the crankcase? Probably, if the mfr. recommends 15W40 it should be OK unless its more than 10-15 years old, advances in additive packages since then make new oil superior to older oil, but even then it should be fine.


15W40 oil is for engines that run hot, and arent going o be used in very cold weather like air cooled engines, and small highly stressed engines like motorcycle engines.
if it is a 4 stroke then yes if it is a 2 stroke no
I had a 49cc moped and put two stroke oil in, i dunno if it was special oil or car oil but it was ok, as long as its two stroke!
Nope. 10w40
yes , car oil , motorcycle oil its all the same. look on the back where is says SAE CERTIFIED thats all that matters. pick the weight you want like 20-50 and use it.
not if you are mixing it with the fuel

No comments:

Post a Comment