Saturday, December 26, 2009

Can the computer used to diagnose my car at oil change centers do any damage, cause shorts?

Please substantiate answers with sourced facts, not just car guy opinions thanks.Can the computer used to diagnose my car at oil change centers do any damage, cause shorts?
Let me know what kind of car I I will send you some Info.


Does the car have OBD 1, or OBD 2 System this is what need to know. In very rare cases connecting to the DTC hook up may cause problems. I have only seen it i1 time in 27 years of repairing cars.Can the computer used to diagnose my car at oil change centers do any damage, cause shorts?
It was like a 92 ford Tauras. To this day I dont know why because I never had any problems after this one. I replaced the ECM and no other problems came up. Report Abuse

The computer used at Dealerships and Quick Oil change places is just reading codes stored in a microchip.





There is no way to cause problems by the use of this machine. If the tech using the machine did something majorly wrong somehow (no way how to begin with) it would of blown a fuse.





A short is caused by a wire being pinched, a connection that isn't clean, a switch going out, etc. Has nothing to do with the use of a machine or attaching a computer to the car.





Like saying an apple is a moose, can't happen.





Depending on what the short is, is where you need to start. If it is the radio, the most common place is the volume control nob. If it is your interior gauge lights, then most likely it is your dimmer switch and so on throughout the car.
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NO
No the computer they use to run a diagnose is made to work with your car its like the key board you are typing on its made to work with your PC. The only way a scanner could do something to your car is if it shorted out as it was hooked to your car. And then you would know it because the on-board computer would be shut down right then it woulden start to even leave the place where it was checked. So i would have to say NO!!!!
Well I only have about 24 years or so working on cars - my ASE computer control and managements systems is expired, but my FED cert is still good---





and...





YES it ';Could'; damage your system


SOME of those places use a diagnostic scanner (older ones mostly) that require Personality Keys -- IF -- they used the wrong personality key in the scanner interface it ';COULD'; cause problems - although without a LOT more details about what is wrong, and what kind of scanner they used, and what kind of car you have (the system it has) - then that is a ';Could'; not ';Would';





link below is a key for sale / but backs up what I'm saying about the keys / for a fast dirty search
  • opera ticket
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment