Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Suggestions for getting car oil off a longhair cat?

My cat keeps crawling under people's cars and getting car oil on his fur - I've tried Simple Green and regular dish soap...and I can't wash him. I need a spot treatment! Thanks!Suggestions for getting car oil off a longhair cat?
What do people use to get oil spots off uf concrete?





I'd rub something absorbany into the grease spots, like baking soda or cat litter. Then I would make a bowl of hot water, and spot clean his oil spot with Dawn dishsoap. This works for ducks in oil slicks, it should work for a cat with an oil spot.





Also, citrus oil is good at cutting all other oils. Maybe you have some orange oil in your cleaning bucket?





You could also shave him, like a lion. I have always wanted to do that to a kitty. I think it is cute.Suggestions for getting car oil off a longhair cat?
Hi there... a little bit of Dawn dish soap works best. This is the same soap that was used to clean the waterfowl after the Exxon Valdez tanker spill in Alaska.
just the same way u get it off clothes...stick ur cat in the washer. lol srry i do not like cats but if ur consered u should get him/her groomed
Those things can be very harmful to your cat's skin. You need to have it groomed and then you need to keep it in the house so it won't get under cars. Sorry.
They use Dawn dish soap to clean birds and animals rescued in the wild.Keep him inside and you won't have this problem and he'll be a whole lot safer.
You should only be using shampoo approved for cats - you could end up poisoning your kitty by using those other products! Go to0 the pet store, buy kitty shampoo and give you cat a warm bath. You may jsut have to cut the hair with the oil on it. Keep your kitty indoors to avoid this problem in the future!
have you tried Dawn dishwashing soap(it cuts the grease)?
goo gone, but make sure you bath the cat afterwards
OK, my answer must be you cant: as a boy I have some funny memory's of ';mama Kittie'; after she jumped of the fence into a pan of used engine oil, after a deep cleaning, Kittie remained dirty black on lower half for 6 months, she was OK, never got sick because we washed her real good, but still makes me laugh when I think of her doing It
I know you said you used Simple Green, but they also make a wipe. Try this. this is what I used on my cat last night when he came in with grease on his hind legs. The wipes give you more uumph to scrub with.
I had the same problem for awhile, but it was from the other point of view. On cold mornings I would get into my car preparing to start it up, %26amp; drive to my job. Suddenly I would hear a commotion %26amp; thumping from under my hood, %26amp; then a cat would run out from under my car. I was told by an experienced cat owner that they like to climb up on the warm engine %26amp; rest from the cold. The darn thing was lucky I didn't get the engine started before it got out. If it ran into the fan blades I would've had a hell of a mess to clean up.


It's possible your cat is doing the same thing.


Your best bet is to prevent your cat from wandering in the neiborhood %26amp; getting into trouble.
keep him in the house!!!
You can use Dawn detergent (dish soap) to remove the oil. It is safe for use on animals. It's been used to clean oil from waterfowl in the past, so it is perfectly safe for your cat. Don't use any other detergent on your cat, though. They can be toxic. After using Dawn, use regular shampoo for cats (not human shampoo). That should take care of the problem. Trim the cat as well, on a regular basis.





If this seems like too much work, keep your cat indoors. You can't leave the oil on the fur, so it's probably better if you keep the cat inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment